- Becoming an instructor
- Bolt funds
- Climbing walls
- Shoe repairers
Places to stay in the UK for climbers
For those of us who haven’t graduated to van ownership yet or those of us who prefer not to sleep in the car next to the crag, below is a list (not exhaustive) of recommended bunk houses and camp sites in the UK.
Note: Generally speaking, camping within the Peak District National Park must be done at designated campsites. The Peak District National Park Authority does not allow wild camping on its own land. There is no provision under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act for camping on open access land. If you want to wild camp in the Peak District National Park you must first obtain permission from the landowner before camping otherwise you will be trespassing.
Help us keep fellow climbers updated. If you've got an entry that you think we should add, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baslow, The Eric Byne Memorial Campsite
Aldern House, Baslow
Tel: 01246 582277
You don’t need to book in advance. The price is £3.00 per person, per night (2015).
This is a very pleasant site, despite a lack of amenities – think wild camping with toilet facilities.
From Chesterfield, take the A619 to Baslow following signs to Chatsworth House, to a brightly lit pub, The Robin Hood Inn, on the B6050. There's an overnight car park by the Robin Hood Inn pub. From here, walk 100m towards Baslow and then turn right onto a track, signposted for the campsite. Continue along here and past farm buildings to reach the site. Its about half a mile up the hill.
Edale, Fieldhead Campsite
PRE-BOOKING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PLEASE PHONE 01433 670386
The campsite is located in the centre of Edale, a short walk from the station and other village facilities. Being at the foot of Kinder Scout, it is well used by hikers and mountain bikers. It is also a short drive from well known climbing areas such as Stanage Edge and Burbage.
Tent pitches are spread over six fields with a separate family field and a small riverside field dedicated to backpackers only. There is a separate car park next to the camping fields which have no vehicle access ensuring a quieter, peaceful stay.
The site is open all year and has showers, toilets, a washing up area, a drying room. Dogs are welcome but noisy parties aren’t (between 10.30pm and 7.30am), neither are fires or disposable BBQs.
Prices per person/vehicle per night:
- Adults (16+) from £5 to £6.50.
- Juniors (under 16) from £3 to £4.50.
- Cars from £2.50 to £3.
- Minibuses from £3.50 to £5.
10% discount available for larger family groups during school holidays (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Discounts are also available for large education groups - please phone for details.
A surcharge may sometimes be applicable for large family tents (6 man +) / gazebos / mess & storage tents - rates available on request.
Hathersage, Thorpe Farm Bunkhouses
Thorpe Farm, Hathersage
Tel: 01433 650659
These are four bunkhouses just north west of Hathersage on a family-run dairy/mixed farm. The Old Stables, the Old Shippon and The Byre are at Thorpe Farm; Pondside is 1/3 mile away at Nether Hurst.Each house is split into dormitories but sole hire is also possible. They all have well-equipped kitchens, shower rooms and drying rooms.
Individuals are accommodated at a cost of £15 per person per night. Please check availability by phoning Mrs Jane Marsden on 01433 650659.
If you needed persuading, the farm also make their own very tasty ice cream.
Malham, Hill Top Farm Bunk House
Tel: 01729 830320
Hill Top Farm Bunk House is a traditional Dales barn about a quarter of a mile from Malham Cove. Vital statistics as follows:
- The barn has been converted to sleep up to 32 people in 6 different bedrooms (2-2-3-4-6-15).
- There is a combined lounge, kitchen and dining room offering magnificent views over Malham Dale, two bathrooms (x4 showers and x5 WCs), and a drying/boot room.
- The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you should need for cooking for large groups and there is an outside area for games, sunbathing and barbecues.
- Pillows and pillowcases are provided - guests bring sleeping bags/duvets and towels.
- There are radiators in all rooms (heating included in the price).
- Hot water is constant (again, included in the price).
- There is parking adjacent to the barn for approximately 8 cars.
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement (maximum of three).
Prices for 2015 (Sole Use)
- Weekends (Friday 3pm - Monday 10:30am ) £800.
- Bank holidays (Friday 3pm - Monday 10:30am) £1000.
- Any other night £225 per night
- 4 night stay midweek Mondays to Thursdays inclusive £750.
- 4 night stay midweek as above in school holidays £800.
- 7 night stay starting any night other than Saturday, prices from £1450
Individual beds - £15 per person per night - sorry, they do not let individual beds at weekends or in school holidays.
Stanage, North Lees Campsite
North Lees Campsite, Birley Lane
Hathersage, Hope Valley
Tel: 01433 650 838
You can book a place at the campsite by telephoning 01433 650 838 or by emailing: email@example.com
This is open every day from March until October (please check website for exact dates). Between November and March the site will be open for camping on Friday and Saturday nights only.
There is space for 60 tents. Parking is separate from the camping and the site is ideally suited to smaller tents. The site also has showers, toilets, washing up points with hot water and a drying room.
The following fees apply from 1 September 2015 to 31 March 2016.
- Age 4 and under Free.
- Age 5–12 (inclusive) £4.50.
- Age 13 - full time students £5.50.
- Adults £6.50.
- BMC & Ride Sheffield Members (1 Sept – 31 Oct per night - £6.50) (1 Nov – 31 Mar per night - £5.00).
- Cars (1 Sept – 31 Oct per night - £2.00) (1 Nov – 31 Mar per night - £1.00).
- Minibuses £4.00.
- Motorcycles £1.00.
- Showers No extra charge.
- Dogs (by arrangement only) £2.00.
- Standard camping pod (‘Duo’ & ‘Twin Cam’) (1 Sept – 31 Oct per night - £15.00) (1 Nov – 31 Mar per night - £15.00*).
- Family camping pod (‘Lookout’ & ‘Beanpod’) (1 Sept – 31 Oct per night - £20.00) (1 Nov – 31 Mar per night - £15.00*).
- Camping pod BMC & Ride Sheffield Member (1 Sept – 31 Oct per night - £13.50) (1 Nov – 31 Mar per night - £13.50).
* Minimum two night booking.SatNav users beware! You will be sent to the wrong place. If using a SatNav, do not turn left up Church Bank (off School Lane) or left down Leverett Lane.